The primary mission of the Counseling Department is to provide services to students in terms of academic, career, transfer and personal guidance that will assist them towards achieving their educational goals.
Counselors provide a myriad of services which address educational, career and personal goals. Counselors provide support and guidance to assist students with a successful adjustment to college life. Counselors also assist students with selecting academic majors, exploring transfer options and developing plans to meet their educational goals (certificate, AA/AS, transfer). The department's Personal Development courses instruct students on how to successfully complete college in a timely manner.
Program Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs):
1. Student will be able to utilize research in both written and online modalities to assist in their academic planning.
2. Student will be able to outline the academic requirements associated with their educational plans.
3. Student will be able to articulate the ability to achieve balance between educationa, work, and leisure time that produces academic success.
Program Services and Activities
Progress & academic probation workshops/Individual education and career planning/CSU, UC and private institution exploration/Online advising/College orientation/Prerequisite authorization/Early alert/Crisis intervention/Financial aid appeals/Student Services Fair
2011-2012 Department Goals
1. To examine student service practices offered by counseling (General, Career and University Transfer Center) through the dissemination of electronic scheduling.
2. To determine a plan that will maximize our efforts in creating a nurturing environment that encourages student engagement, and promotes student success.
3. To build stronger working relationships with faculty, students, and administration through developing exposure in terms of going to classrooms, meeting with ASO constituents and similar efforts that will outline our program's mission statement.